Featured Story

Middle school putting on a show

1 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

Nicole Cooke | Democrat Students in the fifth grade choir at Sedalia Middle School finish singing “America, of Thee I Sing!” which is an arrangement that includes the Pledge of Allegiance and “America the Beautiful,” during Thursday’s spring choral music concert.Nicole Cooke | Democrat The Sedalia Middle School mixed ensemble, comprised of fifth and sixth graders Catherine Enriquez, Kennedy Keele, Kinzie Lamb, Logan Rohr, Alexandria Sauer, Abryana Srader and Zoe Vinyard, sing “Watch Us Shine” during Thursday’s spring choral music concert. The group will compete at this weekend’s Junior High Music Contest on Saturday.


Lincoln golfers win at Stover

Democrat StaffLincoln shot a 350 to win the Stover Golf Invitational on Thursday at the par-71 Rolling Hills Country Club.Green Ridge carded a 360 for second place. Windsor was third with a 380, edging Stover by a stroke. Cole Camp shot a 396 to take fifth and St. Paul Lutheran was seventh with a 427.Stover’s Brock Nolting was the medalist with a 79. Green Ridge’s Peyton Needy took second with an 80, one stroke ahead of Justin Evans of Crest Ridge....

1 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

First try yields second place for Hale in high jump

Heading into the Smith-Cotton Invitational on Tuesday at Jennie Jaynes Stadium, S-C freshman Keoni Hale had never high jumped in competition. Told by his coaches he was going to be jumping, Hale made the most of it, clearing 6-0 to take second place.“They just asked me to come out and do it and I did,” he said. “Whatever the coaches tell me to do, that’s what I’m going to do.”Hale did not have a lot of time to work on his technique....

1 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

Clean Sedalia Committee talks courts, fines

During its regular meeting Thursday the Citizens for a Clean Sedalia Committee spent much of the time discussing the group’s frustration with the slow wheels of justice.Since its formation two years ago the committee has tackled grass, trash and weeds, as well as spearheaded efforts to get a downtown building inspect ordinance passed. The group is now looking at private property issues and during Thursday’s meeting had many questions for Municipal Court Judge Deborah Mi...

1 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

Mayor’s Junior Civic Leaders Group spearheads Amazing Race: Sedalia Edition

There are students in our community who are very intelligent and former Mayor Elaine Horn recognized it. So she decided to start a group that would highlight these students, and teach them teamwork and leadership skills.During the 2012-13 school year, Horn started the Mayor’s Junior Civic Leaders Group. In this group, students are taught leadership and networking skills, which they apply to accomplish a goal, Horn said. She said the biggest values being taught in the group ar...

1 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

On the road again …

Faith Bemiss | Democrat

1 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

OPAA! Recipe Contest held at S-C Jr. High

Wednesday afternoon was a buzz with nine school food service contestants and their helpers from Missouri and Kansas who were competing in the coveted 2014 OPAA! Food Management Inc., Recipe Contest in Smith-Cotton Junior High School’s cafeteria.

1 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

Helias keeps up pressure in win over S-C

The Smith-Cotton girls soccer team twice cut two-goal deficits to one and had chances to equalize, but ended up falling to Helias 4-2 on Wednesday at Susie Ditzfeld Field.Helias, which entered the game ranked No. 7 in the Missouri Soccer Coaches Association Class 2 state poll, scored five minutes into the game and added another in the 16th minute before the Lady Tigers answered. Helias kept the pressure on for much of the first half and had many chances in the second half as well....

2 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

S-C golfers second at Hidden Pines

Democrat StaffThe Smith-Cotton golf team took second and a four-team West Central Conference meet Wednesday at Hidden Pines, shooting a 195. Warrensburg shot a 166 to win. O’Hara shot a 220 and Center shot a 226.Wyatt Foster led Smith-Cotton with a 45. Alex Lorenz shot a 46, Taylor Mankin shot a 47 and Jacob Carrol shot a 52.The Smith-Cotton junior varsity team shot a 195 to finish one stroke behind the Warrensburg JV. Jackson Kempton led the S-C junior ...

2 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

Lub Dub set for Saturday

Organizers for the seventh annual Lub Dub 5K/10K Walk/Run are hoping sunny skies and warmer temperatures predicted for this weekend will mean big crowds for the race Saturday.“We have about 400 people registered so far, so I think the turnout is going to be very good this year,” said Bothwell Foundation Director Lisa Church. “There is a 30 percent chance of rain, but I’m choosing to look at that as there’s a 70 percent chance of no rain. So hopefully i...

2 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

Hire Attire sale continues today

State Fair Community College’s Phi Beta Lambda and business program students were greeted by a line of eager customers at the door Wednesday morning for the 10th annual Hire Attire sale.Laura Taylor, adjunct instructor and chair of the Hire Attire Committee, said the sale had been busy all morning, and that students obtained even more clothes during the second collection day on Monday.“We have more clothes than we ever have before,” she said. “We ...

2 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

Middle school to get greenhouse

Fifth graders at Sedalia Middle School next year will be the first to utilize a new greenhouse at the school, thanks to a grant from the Central Region Missouri State Teachers Association.Fifth grade science teacher Michelle Steger learned last week she had received one of five $600 grants from the organization to “implement an innovative classroom activity.” She has found a greenhouse within the $600 budget which will be built behind the school in time for the 2014-15 ...

2 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

Cole Camp author releases book

LINCOLN — On Tuesday Kathy Elaine Ribble, of Cole Camp, announced the nationwide release of her fiction book, “Springtime in Christmas Town,” a faith-based book that Ribble said happened because her husband pressed the send button.Ribble, a former pastor’s wife and a current leader in women’s ministries, moved to the area with her husband, Charles, about a year ago due to an economic downturn in Newberry, Ind. The couple now owns Ribbles Appliance Repa...

2 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

Earth Day Science Fair at S-C

Photos by Faith Bemiss | DemocratSmith-Cotton High School students participated in an Earth Day Environmental Science Fair Tuesday on the top level of the gymnasium. Environmental and Earth Science teacher Mona McCormick said students would receive first, second and third place awards in three categories: Awareness, Design and Action. Best of Show and People’s Choice awards would also be presented. Attending the event were Phil Webster, with Alliance Water Resources, and Debb...

3 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

Green Ridge softball beats Bunceton

Democrat StaffThe Green Ridge softball team scored three in the first inning and five more in the second to beat Bunceton 12-8 on Tuesday in Bunceton.Mackenly Scotten pitched four inning and had two strikes outs, four walks and four hits. Sam Unkel came on in relief and struck out five, walking no one and allowing no hits.Unkel went 2 for 4 and the plate with two doubles and an RBI. Molly Turner went 2 for 4 with two RBI. Libby Dove went 2 for 3 with a home ru...

3 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

S-C boys run away with final meet at Jennie Jaynes

In the final track meet at the old Jennie Jaynes Stadium, the Smith-Cotton boys track and field team came away with a first-place finish, scoring 180 points to nearly double the point total of second-place Center at the Smith-Cotton Invitational on Tuesday.Smith-Cotton came away with eight first place finishes.In the 1600, Smith-Cotton’s Taylor Gilliam took first with a time of 4:51.57. He led Smithton’s Isaac Calvert for the first 800 meters before Calvert m...

3 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

Students learn about sexual assault prevention

Students at Whittier High School received a lesson in teen dating violence from officials with Citizens Against Spouse Abuse Inc., Tuesday, an annual event for the school during Sexual Assault Awareness Month.CASA Court Advocate Amanda Davis and Child Program Manager Donna Hirner-Gardner spoke with students and teachers about stalking, psychological abuse, physical abuse and sexual assault during their presentation, which emphasized that these situations can happen to both men and ...

3 days 3 hours ago | | | Email

City to celebrate Arbor Day

The city will kick off its Arbor Day celebrations Friday with a special event at Liberty Park.A part of its Tree City USA designation, Sedalia is required to host an Arbor Day celebration yearly. This year’s will feature free tree giveaways, a proclamation by Mayor Steve Galliher, speakers with the Missouri Department of Conservation, and special recognition of Sedalia Master Gardeners and Smith-Cotton High School’s Envirothon Team.

3 days 3 hours ago | | | Email


Sponsored By:

Local Gas Prices

Lowest Gas Prices in Sedalia
Sedalia Gas Prices provided by

Featured Business