Jennie Jaynes to come down this summer


The time has finally come — Jennie Jaynes Stadium will be torn down this summer.

The Sedalia Park Board approved a bid for demolition of the stadium during its meeting Thursday night, which came in significantly under budget. Parks Director Mark Hewett told the board he received a quote of $250,000 from a local company last year, so he included $200,000 in this year’s Parks and Recreation Department budget. On Thursday, the board approved a bid of $80,100 from Perkins Dozing, of Jamesport, to complete the job.

“Dave (Moore, parks superintendent) checked references. They’ve done a six-story bank up north of Chillicothe, and the references said ‘absolutely great,’ they’d recommend them again, they did a great job,” Hewett told the board. “They’re (family) partnerships, they don’t apply to prevailing wage, so that’s why it’s a lot cheaper.”

Perkins Dozing has until Sept. 11 to complete the demolition, but Hewett said the company wants to get started as soon as possible, so he expects the project to be complete in July or August.

Once the stadium is removed, the area will be filled with gravel. The fence will be extended so it will connect all the way around, and lights will eventually be installed to allow residents better lighting while using the track at night. The maintenance building on the property will remain as an extra storage area for the Parks and Rec Department.

Hewett and the board discussed hosting an open house to allow the public one last chance to walk through the old stadium. A date has not been set, but Hewett said it will happen in the next few weeks. It will be informal, and residents will be able to simply walk through the stadium at their leisure during a set time-frame.

“I really think there’s some families in town that want to wander through it, 20 or 30, maybe even 50 or 100 who want to walk through it,” Hewett said.

Sedalia Democrat
comments powered by Disqus