Some big decisions will be made regarding the city’s trash and recycling programs during tonight’s Sedalia City Council meeting.
Public Works Director Brenda Ardrey has spoken with council numerous times regarding the state of the current programs and her and city staff’s recommendations to improve the programs, as well as increase revenue, as expenses currently are larger than revenues.
Council will vote on the following items:
• Review an ordinance amending the city’s fee schedule for Section 48-49 regarding residential solid waste collection fees. The Public Works Department is requesting a monthly residential trash collection rate increase of $2 effective Oct. 1. If approved, the new additional revenue will be used for vehicle replacement within the department.
• Review the Code of Ordinances amending Section 48-49(e) in the Code of Ordinances regarding pickup on-demand services, curbside recycling collection and yard waste/tree debris collection and amending the city’s fee schedule regarding those services. According to information provided in the meeting packet, Public Works is requesting first-time residential curbside recycling services and a yard waste/tree debris pickup service.
• Review an ordinance amending the city’s fee schedule for Section 48-49 regarding commercial dumpster trash collection fees.
• Review an ordinance adding Section 48-53 to Article III of Chapter 48 to the Code of Ordinances by establishing fees for recycling services for commercial single-stream recycling and cardboard collection and incorporating said fees into the city’s fee schedule. Currently there is no charge for this service.
• Review an ordinance amending Section 48-26(f)(1) in the Code of Ordinances regarding collection frequency of residential solid waste . It will be one time per week effective Oct. 3.
During the pre-council meeting, council will hear an annual report from the Bothwell Regional Health Center Board of Trustees as well as a monthly financial update from Finance Director Kelvin Shaw.
During the meeting council will also:
• Review Change Order No. 1 from Reese Equipment Co. for the Yard Waste Grinding 7 Project for an increase in the amount of $2,500.
• Review Change Order No. 1 from Chester Bross Construction Co. for the Mill and Overlay of Various Streets Project for an increase in the amount of $86,251.18. This increase brings the contract total to $635,748.88. According to information in the meeting packet, in addition to final quantity adjustments, this change order includes two additional street improvement areas requested by the city: New York Avenue between Broadway Boulevard and 16th Street and the city-owned parking lot at Third Street and Osage Avenue.
• Review Change Order No. 3 from Smi-Co Construction Inc. for a deduction in the amount of $26,026 for the Peak Flow Management Improvements Stormwater Equalization (EQ-1) Project.
• Review bids for 32 Niche Columbarium at Crown Hill Cemetery to M&R Monument in the amount of $7,350.
• Review an ordinance establishing a “no parking” restriction on both sides of Thompson Boulevard between West 16th Street and Broadway Boulevard. A proposal for approval has been unanimously submitted to council by the Traffic Advisory Commission.
• Review quotes for the purchase of two 2016 Ford F-150 4×4 trucks for the Community Development Department from Rick Ball Ford for $21,889 per vehicle through the State of Missouri Cooperative Procurement Program.
• Review an ordinance amending the budget for Fiscal Year 2016-17 regarding Katy Trail matching funds for the Katy Trail Overpass project.
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting a Business Local Calling ILEC Pricing Schedule with AT&T relating to phone lines and fax lines located in the Sedalia Police Department dispatch area and other various areas of the city that are not compatible with the city’s new digital phone system.
The Sedalia City Council pre-meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the mayor’s conference room with the regular meeting immediately following at 7 p.m. in council chambers at the Municipal Building, 200 S. Osage Ave. For more information, call 827-3000.