A Heat Advisory has been issued for Pettis County from 1 to 8 p.m. Thursday.
According to the National Weather Service, high temperatures Thursday could reach the mid-90s with heat index values ranging from near 105 to 107 degrees.
Prolonged exposure to the heat and humidity may lead to heat-related illness if precautions are not taken.
Citizens are encouraged to follow the following precautions:
• Drink plenty of fluids.
• Stay in an air-conditioned room.
• Stay out of the sun.
• Check up on relatives and neighbors.
• Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When possible, reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening.
• Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
• Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when possible and drink plenty of water.
To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments.
Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location.