Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. SOME NOT HEEDING CALL TO EVACUATE
With Hurricane Matthew bearing down on the southeastern U.S., some residents say the dangers posed by the Category 3 storm and its 125 mph winds are exaggerated if it stays on its current path.
2. DAMAGE TO CARIBBEAN NATION STILL MURKY AFTER MATTHEW
Haitian authorities and international aid workers still lack a clear picture of the hurricane’s destruction two days after the storm rampaged across the remote southwestern peninsula.
3. WHERE TRUMP HAS SHIFTED PRIORITIES
The Republican presidential candidate is now spending millions of dollars on data and digital services in an effort to land donations and win over voters.
4. WHAT MAY BE MOTIVATING NORTH KOREA ON NUKES
Experts say Pyongyang wants to have an established nuclear arsenal — or at least be well on the way there — before the next U.S. president crafts his or her North Korea policy.
5. ADVICE FOR PARENTS ON BODY IMAGE
Health experts say it’s time to make clear to kids that they’re more than their looks — even if Trump can get away with degrading comments, particularly about women.
6. ONCE LAUDED AS A PEACEMAKER, OBAMA’S TENURE FRAUGHT WITH WAR
Seven years after his Nobel Peace Prize triumph, the U.S. president has proven to be a confounding and contradictory figure on matters of war and peace.
7. GOVERNMENT TO PICK PLANS FOR DISPLACED HEALTH LAW CUSTOMERS
The Obama administration is worried that insurers bailing out of the health care law’s markets may prompt their customers to drop out, too.
8. SHARK HABITAT DISCOVERED OFF LONG ISLAND
Researchers say they’ve confirmed the first known nursery — and likely birthing site — for great whites in the Northwest Atlantic.
9. ACTIVISTS BLAST ‘O’REILLY FACTOR’ PIECE AS RACIST
The Fox News Channel segment features an interviewer asking people in New York’s Chinatown if he was supposed to bow to greet them, if they were selling stolen goods and if they could “take care of North Korea for us.”
10. ‘MADBUM’ PITCHES ANOTHER POSTSEASON GEM
Madison Bumgarner tosses a four-hitter and Conor Gillaspie hits a three-run homer in the ninth inning, and San Francisco beat the defending NL champion New York Mets 3-0 in the wild-card game.