BBQ restaurant to remain open after fire


By Nicole Cooke - [email protected]



A Sedalia firefighter douses the small structure that houses the BBQ Pit Stop’s meat cooker with water to prevent any embers from sparking after a fire was extinguished around 4 p.m. Wednesday.


Sedalia firefighters work with BBQ Pit Stop owner Charles Finley to remove the cooked meat that had been inside the cooker when the fire began Wednesday afternoon. Finley said only the structure itself was damaged; the cooker was fine and no injuries were reported.


Sedalia firefighters and restaurant owner Charles Finley look through the structure after the fire was extinguished shortly after 4 p.m. Wednesday.


By Nicole Cooke

[email protected]

A Sedalia firefighter douses the small structure that houses the BBQ Pit Stop’s meat cooker with water to prevent any embers from sparking after a fire was extinguished around 4 p.m. Wednesday.
http://sedaliademocrat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/web1_TSD073015BBQFire.jpgA Sedalia firefighter douses the small structure that houses the BBQ Pit Stop’s meat cooker with water to prevent any embers from sparking after a fire was extinguished around 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Sedalia firefighters work with BBQ Pit Stop owner Charles Finley to remove the cooked meat that had been inside the cooker when the fire began Wednesday afternoon. Finley said only the structure itself was damaged; the cooker was fine and no injuries were reported.
http://sedaliademocrat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/web1_TSD073015BBQFire2.jpgSedalia firefighters work with BBQ Pit Stop owner Charles Finley to remove the cooked meat that had been inside the cooker when the fire began Wednesday afternoon. Finley said only the structure itself was damaged; the cooker was fine and no injuries were reported.

Sedalia firefighters and restaurant owner Charles Finley look through the structure after the fire was extinguished shortly after 4 p.m. Wednesday.
http://sedaliademocrat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/web1_TSD073015BBQFire3.jpgSedalia firefighters and restaurant owner Charles Finley look through the structure after the fire was extinguished shortly after 4 p.m. Wednesday.

A local barbecue restaurant’s business won’t be affected after a fire broke out late Wednesday afternoon.

The Sedalia Fire Department responded to a fire around 4 p.m. at BBQ Pit Stop, 1022 Thompson Blvd., after a passerby alerted employees to the flames. The fire broke out inside the small structure that houses the restaurant’s meat cooker next to the main building.

SFD Captain Donnie Sattler said when they arrived on scene, flames were coming mostly out of the east end of the structure. He said employees were throwing water on the structure to slow the flames, and firefighters extinguished the fire shortly after.

“We figure probably some hot embers under the stove blew into (the owner’s) kindling pile,” Sattler said of the fire’s cause. “It was probably accidental embers.”

Owner Charles Finley said he was a few minutes from heading out to remove some meat from the cooker when a passerby came inside to let them know the building was in flames.

No injuries were reported during the incident. Finley said only the building was damaged, including electrical wires, and the cooker was fine. He already has called someone to do the electrical work Thursday.

“I’m surprised it didn’t do more damage than it did,” Finley said. “I’m pleased that it didn’t.”

Barbecue lovers shouldn’t be concerned though — Finley and a few firefighters saved the meat that had been cooking inside the meat cooker once the fire was extinguished.

“I have enough meat to last a couple days,” he said. “… It won’t affect the business — let people know we’ll be open as usual.”

Nicole Cooke can be reached at 660-826-1000 ext. 1482 or @NicoleRCooke.

Sedalia Democrat

Nicole Cooke can be reached at 660-826-1000 ext. 1482 or @NicoleRCooke.

comments powered by Disqus