After several meetings and work sessions, the Sedalia City Council will adopt a budget for the Fiscal Year 2018 during tonight’s meeting.
The regular council meeting will start with two opportunities for public comment. First, a public hearing regarding the proposed FY18 budget, which council will vote on during the meeting.
That will be followed by a hearing regarding increasing the city’s residential, commercial and industrial wastewater sewer rates to finance the costs to make continued improvements to the city’s wastewater sewer system.
Council will review an ordinance amending Section 60-219(d) of Article V of Chapter 60 of the Code of Ordinances relating to the sewer use charge system and incorporating said fees into the city’s fee schedule, with new sewer rates effective April 1.
According to information in the meeting packet, the fee increase last year and this fee proposed fee increase are designed to introduce smaller fee increases incrementally instead of waiting several years and implementing a very large rate hike.
During the meeting council will also:
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting an agreement for staffing services between the city and IMKO Workforce Solutions. According to the meeting packet, this service has been used for needed part-time and/or temporary work.
• Review a records destruction request from the Sedalia Police Department Administrative Services Bureau.
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting a letter agreement for professional services with Olsson Associates for lift station capacity review/lift station improvement needs for the Menards and Main Street West lift stations. The improvements are needed to address current and anticipated retail growth in the area.
• Review bids for the demolition of structures at 902 E. Boonville and 215 E. Saline. City staff recommends the low bid of $2,500 from Holem Excavating Inc. for Boonville and the low bid of $4,500 from Schultz Wrecking for Saline.
•Review an ordinance amending the budget for Fiscal Year 2016-17.
• Review an ordinance adopting a budget for Fiscal Year 2018.
• Review an ordinance adopting a five-year capital improvement plan for fiscal years 2018-2022.
• Review an ordinance adopting revised financial management policies.
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting an agreement with Sedalia Downtown Development Inc. (FY18 appropriation $30,000).
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting an agreement with with Scott Joplin International Ragtime Foundation Inc. (FY18 appropriation $10,000).
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting an agreement with Economic Development Sedalia-Pettis County (FY18 appropriation $132,500). This is an increase of $2,500.
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting an agreement with Whiteman Area Leadership Council (FY18 appropriation $3,000). This is an increase of $1,000.
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting a memorandum agreement with Alliance Water Resources Inc. for FY April 1, 2017, to March 31, 2018, changes to the base fee for the management of the WPC Department ($23,928/month).
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting an agreement with Sedalia Area Chamber of Commerce for the 2017 July Fourth fireworks display (FY18 appropriation $2,125) and the 2017 Christmas parade (FY18 appropriation $1,000). This is an increase of $1,125 for the fireworks.
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting an agreement with OATS Inc. (FY18 appropriation $25,000).
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting month-to-month Community Center agreements with Care Connection Services, Missouri Valley Community Action Agency Head Start and Boys & Girls Clubs of West Central Missouri.
• Review an ordinance approving and accepting an agreement with Timothy D. Ehlers and Angela M. Ehlers and Tim’s Tree Service LLC.
The Sedalia City Council pre-meeting will begin at 6 p.m. in the mayor’s conference room with the regular meeting immediately following at 7 p.m. in council chambers at the Municipal Building, 200 S. Osage Ave. For more information, call 827-3000.