The City of Sedalia’s Code of Ordinances could soon be updated if the Sedalia City Council approves several building code amendments during tonight’s meeting.
During the pre-council meeting, council will hear a presentation from Chief Building official Andy Burt on building code updates. After the presentation, council will review six ordinances amending:
• Chapter 10, Article IV of the Code of Ordinances relating to building codes.
• Chapter 10, Article VII electrical code.
• Chapter 10, Article V existing building code.
• Chapter 24, Article II fire prevention code.
• Chapter 10, Article VI mechanical code.
• Chapter 10, Article VIII plumbing.
• Chapter 10, Article X, Division 2 international property maintenance code.
During the meeting, Mayor Steve Galliher will present service awards to Street Department Crew Supervisor Eugene Davis for 35 years of service and Sedalia Fire Department Fire Capt. Greg Smith for 20 years of service, and Sedalia Police Department Officer Michael Elwood, SPD Telecommunications Officer Leona Anson, Finance Department Accounting Tech Sherria McDonald, Vehicle Maintenance Department Lead Mechanic Brandon Stetzenbach and VMD Mechanic Gary Laboube all for five years of service.
Council will also vote on three new appointments:
• Rick Adams to the Housing Authority Board of Directors to complete Larry Billingsley’s term expiring June 2016
• Ann Richardson to the Planning and Zoning Commission completing Chris Patton’s term expiring June 2018
• Kevin Wade to the Planning and Zoning Commission completing La Vera Schmitt’s term expiring June 2019.
During the meeting council will also:
• Review an ordinance amending the budget for Fiscal Year 2015-16 for staffing at the Sedalia Animal Shelter. Due to increased duties at the shelter, a part-time position will be changed to a full-time position.
• Review a proposal and staff recommendation for an airport consultant for the Sedalia Regional Airport.
• Review bids for rock.
• Review an ordinance accepting a quit claim deed for sections of Main Street and Oak Grove Lane and accepting said streets for city maintenance to the City of Sedalia from Pettis County. According to information in the meeting packet, the acceptance of these sections has been discussed with the county “for a period of time. Because of anticipated and current development in this area, it is advisable for the city to be able to control traffic planning.”
• Review a quote of $21,489 from JCI Industries for the sole source purchase of a flight motor and gearbox for the mixer at the Southeast Wastewater Treatment Plant.
• Review bids for the demolition of structures located at 1520 S. Vermont Ave., 528 N. Washington Ave., 705 W. 11th Street and 416 E. Second St.
• Review bids and an ordinance approving an agreement with APAC-Missouri Inc. for the mill and overlay of South Madison Avenue from U.S. Highway 50 to 16th Street. The work is needed due to sewer work occurring in the area.
• Review an ordinance calling a general election to be hosted April 5, 2016, for the purpose of electing a municipal judge and one councilman from each of the four wards. Filing for candidacy begins at 8 a.m. Dec. 15 and ends at 5 p.m. Jan. 19 at the city clerk’s office.
• Review a records destruction request from the Personnel Department.
The Sedalia City Council pre-meeting will begin at 6:15 p.m. in the mayor’s conference room with the regular meeting immediately following at 7 p.m. in council chambers at the Municipal Building, 200 S. Osage Ave. For more information, call 827-3000.