Pettis County Recorder of Deeds Barbara Clevenger recently provided the following information on the requirements to obtain a marriage license in Pettis County.
• Both parties must appear together.
• Be 18 years of age or older
• Present a valid, government-issued picture ID and provide Social Security numbers for both individuals.
• Pay a fee of $60 by cash or credit/debit card. A $2 convenience charge is added for the use of a credit/debit card.
• Provide the name and phone number of the person performing the ceremony.
• Give the license to the person performing the ceremony before the wedding.
• Have a ceremony performed within 30 days from the date of issuance in the State of Missouri.
• The individuals must not be related to each other through and including first cousins.
• If either party is under 18, a custodial parent/legal guardian must come with them to give consent to the application. An additional $2 fee is to be paid at the time of the application for each parental/guardian consent.
• Applicants younger than 15 must obtain a circuit court order.
• If the license is lost, destroyed or not used, the parties must return to the Recorder’s office to sign an affidavit.
• The person performing the ceremony is required by law to return the completed license to the Pettis County Recorder of Deeds office within 15 days of the ceremony.
• The process takes approximately 20 minutes to complete and obtain the license.
Last year, 377 marriage licenses were issued in Pettis County.