The Sedalia Democrat is today launching a new look designed to make the newspaper easier to read, more dependable in its layout, and more effective for our advertisers.
It’s true that we live in a digital age, and more people than ever are turning to digital platforms to get the news and information they want. The Sedalia Democrat is committed to being at the forefront of every delivery platform available. In fact, this week we are also unveiling a redesigned website.
But while we may be in the middle of a digital revolution, we recognize that our print products remain extremely important, both to thousands of readers and to our loyal advertisers who continue to find print advertising their most effective medium in local markets.
Over the past several months, we have listened closely as readers and advertisers have shared helpful comments, suggestions, and, yes, criticisms. The new look of our newspaper is in large part the result of the advice and requests we have received from our most qualified judges — the consumers who use our product as their leading source of information about our local community.
Among the changes you will notice beginning today:
• Bigger type size and better line spacing to allow readers to more easily read every story.
• A more standardized headline style to make the presentation of news and information less confusing and easier to find and follow.
• Bigger photographs to take better advantage of the fact that a picture really is worth a thousand words, especially when it comes to the activities of local newsmakers and organizations.
• More consistency in our page-by-page presentation, so readers will always know where they can find obituaries, the weather report, opinion and commentary, and other features that are important parts of every edition.
• Better ad placement, especially with our clutter-free front page advertising packages.
As always, we understand that the most important service we provide is our emphasis on local news, sports, opinion and features. Recording and sharing the events, achievements, triumphs and sometimes tragedies of our neighbors and our community has been our historic mission since 1868, and that will always be our focus. And it’s easier than ever to interact with our editors and reporters, since every story includes email, phone and Twitter handles..
We hope you enjoy the changes. Please continue to share your ideas and suggestions, and as always, thank you for reading The Sedalia Democrat.